Friday, September 4, 2009

Would You Like a Baby with That Book?

So I was reading Authoress's blog post yesterday, and something she said got me thinking about how writing (and, subsequently, trying to publish) a novel is a lot like birthing a baby. I would know, too, since I recently did both.

Yes, you read that right: I wrote my latest book while pregnant with my second child, and I sent out my first batch of queries five days before she was born (actually, my first request came while I was still in the hospital). Now most people would think this was crazy, and at first thought, I'd be inclined to agree. But strangely enough, it's been this concurrence that's specifically kept me from going crazy. I look forward to the few minutes I get to spend doing query stuff every day because they're a break from my normal feeding/diapering/rocking routine. But then I can't become too obsessed with the query stuff thanks to all of that feeding and diapering and rocking I do.

So there you have it, folks--Krista's solution to obsessive behavior: Just go and find yourselves another obsession. They'll balance each other out, and you'll be one step closer to being a normal person. Actually, I think this is how all normal people become such; they have so many little obsessions that they end up with none.

I guess I'll have to let you know when I find a few more:)

No comments: