Wednesday, August 21, 2013

An Agent's Inbox #3

Dear Ms. Sciuto:

Stu and Satch are unlikely best friends. One is a shy boy and the other a shy sasquatch. When they stumble onto a sign for a Bigfoot Hunters Club, a panicked Stu hides Satch, tries tricking the hunters and even masterminds a PR campaign. But he realizes he’ll need to face the bigfoot hunters and his shyness to save his best friend.

STU AND SATCH is a 472-word picture book for children ages 4-8 that celebrates friendship and perseverance. It is Harry and the Hendersons meets Scaredy Squirrel by Melanie Watt. Few humorous picture books about sasquatches exist in the market today. None focus on unlikely friendship or overcoming shyness.

I am querying you because humor is a very important part of my writing and I've read you prefer picture books with humorous narratives. I have been an SCBWI San Francisco South member since 2010. I participate in a critique group, online writing challenges like PiBoIdMo and 12x12 Picture Book Writing Challenge, and local SCBWI events. I have other polished manuscripts available upon request. Thank you for your consideration.

Best,
M.G.


STU AND SATCH

Stu was slow-to-warm. His teeth chattered in front of roaring campfires. His toes stayed frosty in his fluffy sleeping bag. Oh, and he took a while to warm up to new friends--eyeing them verrry carefully until he felt safe. Then one day…

He spied Satch, who had spied him first. [ILLO: Satch is a bashful Bigfoot.] Both dove for the same bush…

And became friends at first blush. Together, they romped, they stomped, they cannonballed. Life was perfect until…

6 comments:

Andrew said...

What an adorable story! Love it!

Annmarie said...

I really love the idea! It could be very entertaining. There are some minor grammatical errors in the query you'll want to proof.

Nicole Zoltack said...

Aw, this sounds cute!

Alison Miller said...

This does sound really cute! The only very nitpicky thing I have to offer is this: I'd be careful about using the word NONE ("None focus on unlikely friendship or overcoming shyness."). Just in case there's that one PB out there that you hadn't stumbled across that does.

S.A. Turnbull said...

“One is a shy boy and the other a shy sasquatch.” This caught me completely by surprise. Love it! Great line.

Sounds like an adorable story, “that celebrates friendship and perseverance.” <-- love this too.

Agent Sara Sciuto said...

What a sweet concept! I am indeed always looking for humor, but I also appreciate the combination element, of both a sasquatch book and a friendship book. "Combination" books are also in demand at the moment. I'm also glad to see that you're a member of SCBWI--it's a great group and we always recommend our clients to join if they haven't already!

I really enjoyed the sample pages! I can envision cute illustration opportunities here for these two bashful creatures. Though, one suggestion would be to remove the ellipses. By using them on every page turn it begins to feel a bit gimmicky, and I think not necessary. Also, be sure to keep the voice kid-friendly (e.g. I'm not sure many 5-7yo would be familiar with the phrase "at first blush".) I really like this concept and would definitely keep reading!