Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Mini (Work-in-) Progress Reports

It's been a while since I've shared anything about my works-in-progress, so I thought I'd round them up!

Steve

Word count (to the nearest thousand): 60,000
Status: Waiting for first pass pages
Attitude: Exhausted (but it's a good exhausted)

This little manuscript has been on a long journey. As I mentioned in a recent post, Steve has undergone a ton of changes in the year since he sold, but I think the end is finally in sight. I reviewed the copyedits several weeks ago, so we're down to first pass pages and, after that, ARCs. In the meantime, the illustrator is busily working on the cover (though I haven't seen even a draft, so don't ask me what it looks like!). Also, you should know that THE REGENERATED MAN isn't going to stick, but I think you'll like Steve's new title even better. More soon!

Clyde

Word count: 45,000
Status: Working on the first revision
Attitude: Determined

Though Clyde sold almost a year ago, we've had to put him on the back burner while I worked on Steve, so now we're playing catch-up. (In an amusing twist of fate, Clyde's editor's name is also Steve, so that's made for some exciting (read: confusing) e-mails.) It's been a little weird to work on this story again--I haven't even opened up the document in the last sixteen months--but it's also been kind of cool to see how far I've come as a writer. Oh, and DUEL/DUET isn't going to stick, either, but then, we've always known how terrible I am at titles:)

Bonnie

Word count: 71,000
Status: In a holding pattern
Attitude: I haven't even thought about this manuscript in a while, so I guess I can't really say

Like a pair of unruly two-year-olds, Steve and Clyde have been demanding my attention for the last several months, so I haven't even thought about this manuscripts in a while. But I still love this story and hope I get a chance to share it with the world someday.

Casper

Word count: 10,000
Status: Sitting in Kate's inbox
Attitude: In love

Call me superstitious, but I've been hesitant to talk about this manuscript online. I had this idea a few months back that simply wouldn't leave me alone, so I scribbled down the first five chapters in about a week. (I also threw together a synopsis so I could get a handle on the plot, and it clocked in at a whopping 5,000 words. Holy synopsis, Batman!) I've passed it off to Kate so we can figure out where to go from here, but I've fallen in love with this concept and these characters and hope I get a chance to write the rest of it someday.

I also have ideas for two more manuscripts that I desperately want to write--one's an MG, one's a YA, though they're both contemporary--but I'm not sure I'll be able to throw another ball into the mix (let alone another two). At least I won't run out of things to write for the foreseeable future:)

How are your works-in-progress coming along?

11 comments:

A.L. Sonnichsen said...

Thanks for the update! Yes, a couple of mine are in holding patterns, too, and then there are all the ideas.... We can both be so thankful that there's no shortage of those! :) Congratulations on all your milestones, Krista!! <3

Suze said...

I have a feeling about Casper, girl. Can't say I know why but it just transmits a certain energy.

Kim said...

Hi Krista! Popping over from Suze's blog (don't you love Suze?). Sounds like you have a lot going on! Congrats for ideas, even stalled ones ;)

HEATHER LYNNE DAVIS said...

Krista: Your productivity astounds me. Very cool. I'm testing the waters (again) with my first YA novel. Have had some good responses from agents and some success in contests. But I need a break from the grind of intensive writing and revision while working full-time, being mommy to two little ones, and trying to keep my house from being condemned. Have so many ideas I want to pursue, but know it is time to take care of myself for while. Just want to read and be for most of the summer. Then it will be onto the next project. I'm learning that I have to pace myself or I will burn out. I'm also editing my husband's amazing memoir and writing some new poetry, so there's always plenty to work on. Good luck with all of your projects! --Heather

Heather said...

Love hearing about your projects and you are so inspiring!

Yamile said...

Wonderful update. Wow! I admire you so much!!! I've also been thinking about bringing back from the shadows a YA that's very close to my heart. I hope that in the years it's been in a drawer, I've learned how to tell the story I was meant to tell from the beginning.

Unknown said...

You have been busy, but that's good. Congrats on the success of your works. I like the names - cute idea.

Traci Kenworth said...

I've put my edits on the backburner for now. I needed to write another book first (set in the same universe that takes place before this one).

Ryan said...

Great to hear about your progress! I finally heard from my editor and should be working on An Uncommon Blue edits in Sept. Meanwhile I've started a story that just wouldn't leave me alone. (Now I vacillate between letting people see what I have and getting the whole thing written first.) I can't stand the thought that people might not love it as much as I do. Haha

Myrna Foster said...

I love these updates. You are so BUSY. :o)

Krista Van Dolzer said...

I don't know about you, Amy, but I feel like I've experienced an explosion of ideas in the last year or two. (Or maybe it just seems that way because all the old ideas are still hanging around...)

I sincerely hope you're right, Suze.

Thanks for stopping by, Kim! I don't know Suze very well, but what I know I like:)

Heather #1, it sounds like you've got the right idea. I'm TERRIBLE at pacing myself, and it's taken its toll on me. I need to figure out how to do a better job at that.

Thanks, Heather #2!

Good luck with your revival project, Yamile! Since we're always getting better, I think going back and revamping an old project could turn out really well.

Thanks, Karen! I nickname my manuscripts because I'm horrible at titles and need to have something to call them:)

Traci, your process totally reminds me of Myrna's (who's a few comments below you). Good luck with that!

It never gets any easier, does it, Ryan? Best of luck with your new project.

Myrna, if I'm busy, it's because I can't go more than a few days without writing SOMETHING:)