Monday, October 3, 2011

September's Winners!

First off, let’s hear from Ms. Paquette!

I had a lot of fun judging this contest, and very much enjoyed the wide variety of voices, genres, and subject matter. While I hope my comments on the queries and sample pages were helpful, it’s important to note that these are just one agent’s off-the-cuff opinions and reactions; others’ mileage may vary. This is above all things a subjective business, so I encourage you to keep revising, keep polishing, and above all, stick with it.

A few other notes: Several of these queries and manuscripts had been previously sent to me, so in those cases I had a wider familiarity with the material, and I didn’t request projects I had already considered. There were also cases where a project was not picked as a winner but did intrigue me enough that I mentioned in my comment an interest in reading on further, or reading additional work by this author. If I made such a comment on your submission, please feel free to send me your query and first 5 pages via the agency website form at emliterary.com.

I wish you all the best with your querying and journey toward publication!

And now for Ms. Paquette’s winners and prizes.

First place: #44 HARBINGERS

HARBINGERS wins a request for the query and first 50 pages!

Runners up:

#8 TRUSTING TRINITY
#9 MIRAGE
#23 A SKETCH IN TIME
#27 CRY HAVOC
#40 KORU
#43 SOMNILOQUY

These entries all win a request for the query and first chapter!

Winners, please e-mail me at kvandolzer(at)gmail(dot)com for instructions on how to submit your pages to Ms. Paquette! And for those of you who aren’t in this list but got a comment from Ms. Paquette like “I would read on” or “I’m interested in reading future work” and have questions you think I might be able to answer, feel free to e-mail me as well.

This turned out to be an awesome round, with lots of energy and wonderful feedback from Ms. Paquette and everyone else. Thank you so much for entering, for critiquing, and for blogging, tweeting, and Facebook-ing about the contest. I really appreciate the shout-outs and your participation.

October’s round of “An Agent’s Inbox” is just over the horizon, so keep an eye out for that. In the meantime, I hope to have a few more interviews and a bevy of hopefully interesting posts from yours truly to share.

Have a great Monday, everyone!

17 comments:

Cassie Mae said...

Congratulations everyone! What a great opportunity for you all :)

Jenilyn Collings said...

Congratulations to the winners!

Jess said...

Congrats to the winners, and thank you to Krista for all the work you put into hosting!

Alex said...

Great Contest Krista!

Michael G-G said...

Congratulations to all the winners--may wondeful things come of this for you.

Krista, you did an awesome job. You are amazing.

Thanks again to Ms. Paquette for giving of her time so generously.

And thanks to all you made comments on mine (#35"Shakespeare on the Lam"). You have been more helpful than you perhaps realize.

Lindsey R. Loucks said...

Congratulations to the winners! This was fun!

Janet Johnson said...

Krista, thank you for hosting this! And Ms. Paquette, thank you for all your comments. Very helpful!

And congrats to all the winners!

Karen Denise said...

Thanks Krista and Ms. Paquette! And congrats to all the winners. Good luck!

Jenny Kaczorowski said...

Thanks Krista & Ms. Paquette! This was a great experience!

Krista Van Dolzer said...

You guys are awesome. Thanks for being such wonderful sports and for taking the time to critique these entries right along with Ms. Paquette.

Suzanne Warr said...

Thank YOU Krista! You are awesome, and it's great to get all the wonderful feedback not only from the generous Ms. Pacquette but all my fellow writers! It's been so much fun--thanks everyone!

MarcyKate said...

Congrats to all the winners! There were so many great entries, but the winning one was one of my faves too!

Leigh Ann said...

Congratulations, Winners! (GO LORI GO!!!) And thank you so much Krista and Ms. Paquette.

It was an incredible round! Can't wait to watch the next one.

Jeff Chen said...

Thanks for the contest, Krista and Ms. Paquette! All the feedback was really useful.

Jemi Fraser said...

Congrats to all the winners!

Marybk said...

This is so fun! Congrats to the winners. What a great service to writers, Krista. :)

Krista Van Dolzer said...

Thank you, everyone, for your thanks and enthusiasm. Honestly, though, I feel like I get just as much out of these contests as the rest of you.