Tuesday, September 19, 2023

A Couple of Notes on This Year's #PitchMe Entries

First off, thank you, thank you, thank you for submitting to #PitchMe. This contest doesn't work if we don't get a hefty batch of super promising submissions, and once again, you guys delivered. We've finalized most of our picks, but this year's entries were so great that we're still dilly-dallying over the last couple of slots.

Overall Impressions

  • Maybe it's because I've gotten used to reading queries, but so many of the little things that stuck out to me last year didn't stick out to me this one. I didn't notice or care how you spelled my name (or didn't), whether you admitted you're a first-time novelist, or even how you closed your query. I scanned for title, word count, category, and genre, then dove straight into the summary. If the author's bio paragraph connected their lived experience to their book's subject matter, that was certainly a plus, but if a query happened to skip over that pesky bio paragraph, I honestly might not have noticed. The story itself was king.
  • Established, best-selling authors can write anything they want, and publishers will throw money at it, but break-in stories have to clear a much, much, much, much higher bar. Write what you love, they say, and let your passion sell itself, but a part of me wonders how much experience such authors have with not selling anything. If you've been at this for a while, if agents and editors compliment your writing but never give you the time of day, it may be because your concepts aren't standing out.

PB Notes

  • There were 84 submissions within this category.
  • My #PitchMe spreadsheet has two columns for note-taking on each entry: "Pros" and "Cons." Too often, I found myself typing "Good query" under "Pros" and "Concept may not stand out enough" under "Cons." It's clear that so many of you are seasoned writers who've learned how to craft pitch-perfect queries and even manuscripts, but if agents have seen your concept over and over again, it may not matter how strong your query or even your manuscript is. Tara agreed. She pointed out that several of these entries were exceptionally well-written--but about a dog or cat.
  • On the whole, Tara thought these entries were really, really strong. In more than one case, she decided not to pick an entry simply because she didn't think it needed #PitchMe's help.
  • She--and I--also shied away from rhyming picture books because they're hard to critique and really have to be pitch-perfect to catch an agent's eye. If the verse is on, it's ON, but if the meter is off by even a single syllable, the whole thing kind of falls apart.

MG Notes

  • There were 44 submissions within this category.
  • And more than half of them--28, to be precise--were some kind of fantasy. Throw in the horrors with fantastical elements, and the number would be well over 30. Nothing wrong with fantasy, of course, and I loved some of these entries, but MG in general and MG fantasy in particular has become quite tricky to sell, so your project really has to go above and beyond.
  • Maybe it's just the time of year, but I also came across enough ghost stories in these entries that I started to take note. Here again, some of these ghost stories were my very favorite entries, but it also made me wonder if our agents might be experiencing ghost-story fatigue. 
  • Lastly, multiple stories started on the first or last day of school, so those first pages had to work even harder to stand out.

YA Notes

  • There were 49 submissions within this category.
  • And quite a few of them were also fantasies. That said, there weren't nearly as many, but there were certainly enough to make me jot down a note.

Adult Notes

  • There were 84 submissions within this category.
  • And on the whole, I'd say that the adult submissions featured a better mix of genres. That said, experience has taught me that my fantasy and sci-fi tastes don't match up very well with what agents are looking for--which has everything to do with me and absolutely nothing to do with the amazing fantasy and sci-fi authors #PitchMe has featured in the past--so those ones really had to wow me to make it onto my longlist.

You may have done the math yourself, but of the 14 awesome agents and 5 lurking editors who will be checking in on #PitchMe, 6 will be looking for PB, 13 for MG, 13 for YA, and 11 for adult.

Please meet me back here tomorrow for the list of finalists!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have so much appreciation for all of the hard work you and Tara do every year to make the notoriously unattainable dreams of so many authors come true. You two are a gift to the community. Thank you for all of your time, effort, and thought!

DJ Christie said...

Really appreciate all the hard work involved in #PitchMe and taking the time to post your thoughts after reading the queries. Interesting and helpful. I didn’t write about a cat or dog so maybe that’s in my favor! Lol!

Bri Lawyer said...

We really appreciate all the time and work that you both put into helping authors connect with agents and editors! And sharing your notes is also very helpful. Thank you!!!

Lindsey Aduskevich said...

Wow! Thank you for all these wonderful notes! I've been stalking your pages waiting to hear something. 😆 But seriously, these are great! So many things to think about when drafting a manuscript!

Anonymous said...

Will you be reaching out to the PB authors who you felt didn't need PitchMe's help to let them know that is the reason for not being selected? I would hate for someone to change a strong query because they felt it was inadequate when the opposite is true!

Anonymous said...

I wish the rhyme deterrent would have been mentioned in the contest rules and announcement. I feel like I wasted my time/chance for it to not be considered because rhyme is difficult for some to critique. I do truly appreciate the time you all put into it though and congrats to the finalists!

Krista Van Dolzer said...

Good question, Anonymous 7:22. We probably won't reach out to you unless you reach out to us after October 26 to ask for feedback. (And I'll add that I don't have Tara's concern about picking projects that need very little help, so if an entry made it onto *my* list, I may very well have thought that the entry was already super strong.)

I understand your frustration, Anonymous 7:40. For the record, though, we have chosen a rhyming PB in the past, and I'm less squeamish about critiquing verse than Tara is. The problem with almost every rhyming picture book I see is that the verse is uneven. Every stressed syllable has to fall into a predictable pattern, and it hardly ever does. It might also be worth asking yourself if a story has to be told in verse. What's the benefit, and why does it make sense? If you don't have strong answers to both of those questions, you might consider writing your PB in prose.