Friday, September 12, 2014

Have I Really Been Blogging for Five Years?

Apparently, the answer is yes (and I have the archives to prove it). In some ways, it feels like it hasn't been that long, but in other ways, it does. Blogging was the thing for a new writer to do back in 2009, and now it's kind of...not. Also, Lady was a screaming infant back when I first started, and now she's in kindergarten. It's funny how time speeds up when we're not paying attention and slows down when we are.

Clicking back through these archives, it's interesting to see what's the same and what's different. I'm still recommending books (though not quite as often as I used to). The first book I ever recommended was Jamie Ford's HOTEL ON THE CORNER OF BITTER AND SWEET, which went on to become an international best-seller, so I guess I got that one right:) And my ongoing agent series--"Interview with an Agent," "Agent-Author Chat," and "An Agent's Inbox"--are still hanging around (though, here again, I'll be the first to admit that I'm not posting new installments nearly as often as I used to).

Unfortunately, I'm no longer massacring the art of French cooking (though I still think that's the best series name I've ever come up with). And I no longer post query updates, either, partly because I'm no longer querying, but also because the deeper you dive into this industry, the less you're at liberty to share.

That transparency is one of the things I really miss about the old days, actually. I also miss the writer I used to be. It's not that I don't feel like I've gotten better, because I do (and objectively speaking, I'm pretty sure I have), but for some reason, I found it easier to believe in myself when I was the only one who did. Maybe the years of rejection--and those don't end once you sell a manuscript, by the way--finally took their toll, or maybe it just goes to show that no amount of success will ever make us feel good enough. We have to find that for ourselves.

So where do we go from here? Well, next week, I'll be hosting a blog birthday giveaway that will probably include a few partial critiques from yours truly and maybe some other goodies (if I'm feeling really crazy). Also, we have another round of "An Agent's Inbox" coming up (which will be judged by Melissa Jeglinski of The Knight Agency--yay!), so keep an eye out for that contest alert (which will go up next Friday). In other words, it sounds like it will mostly be business as usual around here, but I couldn't let this month go by without at least ACKNOWLEDGING that it's the blog's fifth birthday. I'm sure you understand:)

14 comments:

Suzi said...

Happy Blogoversary! 5 years is awesome.

You're in the group of some of the first blogs I started following a few years back. Pretty sure you were the first agent judged contest I ever entered too.

Glad you're still around.

Write Life said...

Hello darling Krista! My goodness, when I think back on all the blogs, the contests, the conversations, all the kindness--truly remarkable! Hope it continues! Your presence out there is special! : )

Leandra Wallace said...

Congrats on 5 years! That's quite an achievement. I've only been doing it over a year, and man does it take a commitment to do it!

Ryan said...

Yay for being increasingly awesome X5!!

E.B. Black said...

I've been blogging for years as well, although I didn't start as early as you did.

I don't care whether it's the thing to do or not. I'll likely always read author blogs and post author blogs of my own. It's fun. :)

Anyway, that's one thing I like about self-publishing. I'm actually pretty transparent and open about everything. I'm glad I don't have someone telling me not to share things.

It's not that I go overboard with it, but I like being honest with people, especially about the ups and downs of my career.

Shanika L. Bynum said...

Congrats on blogging for 5 years! I know how much it takes to keep it up, cause I tried blogging and wasn't good at it, so I quit.

Keep it up! I love the information and contests you provide!

JeffO said...

There's nothing like kids to make time speed up.

"I found it easier to believe in myself when I was the only one who did." That's a really interesting statement and something that's quite true. Knowing there are people rooting and cheering and expecting changes the game completely, doesn't it? Mostly in a good way, but not always.

Happy blogiversary!

Maria said...

Congratulations! Love reading your posts and being part of this community you created.

S.P. Bowers said...

Well happy blogiversary! That's a great achievement. No, your blog won't be the same because you aren't the same. But hooray for you for not giving up on your dreams and goals.

Donna Tagliaferri said...

I just noticed I started in 2009 also....however I do not have a lot of people following me, they read but link from Facebook or twitter...I should not care, but I do. Hop over sometime...
bleachervison.blogspot.com

Krista Van Dolzer said...

It's good to hear from you, Suzi! It seems like forever since I hosted the first round of "An Agent's Inbox," so I guess what I'm saying is that I'm glad you're still around, too:)

Oh, thank you, Linda. That's a lovely thing to say. I don't think we've chatted since you signed with your agent. We'll have to catch up sometime!

It does take a bit of commitment, Leandra, but blogging is something I genuinely enjoy doing (which is probably why I've stuck with it all these years). Good luck to you with yours!

Thanks, Ryan!

E.B., that's a huge benefit of self-publishing. To be honest, I've started thinking more and more about self-publishing myself. I don't think it's necessarily right for every project, but I do think it's the best way to publish some projects.

Good for you, Leiann, for figuring out what works for you (and what doesn't). Social media is only effective if you use it effectively. That's why I haven't joined Facebook, Pinterest, etc. If I'm on those sites, I want to BE there, and right now, it doesn't feel like the right move.

Exactly, JeffO. It's those darn expectations that sometimes throw me off. I'm my own worst critic (I think we all are, aren't we?), and it's usually my own self-imposed expectations that mess me up. I need to figure out how to manage those better...

Thanks for being a part of this community, Maria!

That's a great point, S.P.

Donna, it is frustrating when you're doing everything you can but it still doesn't seem like enough. Hoping over to your blog!

Heather said...

Wow, Krista, that's amazing! Happy anniversary. :)

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Happy Blog Anniversary! I think I missed my 5th anniversary. I still love writing and reading blogs. :)

Krista Van Dolzer said...

Thanks, Heather!

Yeah, Sharon, I'm pretty sure you've been blogging even longer than I have:) And I agree--blogging will always hold a special place in my heart.